Want to Get More Sales? Here’s What Online Store Owners Need to Know
Updated on 03/01/2024
If you run your business through an ecommerce site platform, without the help of various digital marketing tactics, you could be missing out on loads of potential purchases and minimizing the potential of your overall marketing mix.
From SEO to email marketing to even things such as conversion optimization, there is a wide variety of tactics and online ecommerce strategies you should consider investing in to help facilitate more sales from your website. Through this, you can see actionable insights that will help your business better understand how and where potential customers are looking for you.Get Started With Our Experts
“I am BEYOND impressed with Sixth City’s work. Their transparency and knowledge of their craft is very impressive. We saw results for our business soon after partnering with them.” – Sydnee Cooke, Painted Cowgirl Western Store
Frequently Asked (and Unasked) Questions on Ecommerce Marketing Strategies
Hey store owners, meet your go-to resource to advertising your brand in 2024. Check out our guide to ecommerce marketing below.
What is marketing for ecommerce?
By implementing a variety of strategic tactics customized to your niche, ecommerce digital marketing helps your store get more organic, paid, social, and referral traffic. The pay off of a good well-rounded digital marketing campaign is also to help users who come to your site turn into sales, and even keep them as loyal, returning, customers. Strategies can also vary depending on whether your targeting the average customer (B2C) or looking for executives at other businesses (B2B).
Are ecommerce and digital marketing the same thing?
While both describe things done online, they are quite different. Ecommerce (electronic commerce) describes a store that is selling their products online. Digital marketing is an umbrella term for various marketing tactics done on the internet.
What is your #1 tip for getting started?
Our top advice for ecommerce brands is to sync your store with Google Merchant Center. Google Merchant Center. is a product by Google that let’s brands list their products for free, but also use it as a PPC channel to promote their products. Products added to GMC will then show in the “Shopping” tab in Google, which helps enhance your visibility. And if you think you need to pay to get the most visibility, some businesses have seen 400% revenue growth from free listings!
What is the importance of customer reviews in ecommerce marketing?
All kinds of social proof like customer testimonials and user-generated content can consumer build trust and help influence purchasing behavior. Therefore, having positive customer reviews on your website can enhance the company’s reputation. And with the reviews you have, adding product review schema to your website can help increase the number of clicks you receive on search engines through organic, non-shopping results. Here is an example:
Also, if you are getting negative reviews left online, it is important to address them promptly and professionally to maintain your credibility.
What issues do you often see with ecommerce sites?
As obvious as it sounds, we often come across ecommerce sites with product pages that are thin on content, and offer little beyond a product name and description. This tends to be an issue as Google has prioritized helpful content, and even if you don’t have a lot to say about every product on your site, there are other ways it can be improved.
This will vary by niche, but be sure you are including things such as product specs, size guides, ingredients, materials, and any special features that are applicable to what you sell that can help the buyer.
What are the most important elements to include on your ecommerce web pages?
Given what we just stated above, we figured it would be helpful for you to have a checklist of things to include on product pages. While this list could go on for days, here are the most important elements to include on your site:
- Clear product descriptions that include key features, specifications, and any other necessary information
- Quality product images and videos that showcase your products accurately
- User-friendly navigation that is accompanied by clear categories and filters for easy location of products
- Prominent calls to action that are displayed in buttons or links
- Mobile responsiveness that makes it easy to browse and shop using a smartphone or tablet
- Customer reviews and rating that build credibility and help customers make informed decisions when purchasing
Is it worth it to invest in email marketing?
Absolutely! When compared to those who did not receive email offers, shoppers who were marketed to through email spend 138% more. Email marketing helps build company credibility, further driving sales and customer loyalty. Brownie points for the companies who use personalized email marketing!
With email marketing, you can directly reach consumers to:
- Purchase items left in their cart
- Announce new products
- Promote any sales or announcements
- Build your brand trust
- Retain customer loyalty
- Much more!
Should I be doing remarketing via email?
Yes! Did you know that many different ecommerce content management systems allow you to send automatic abandoned cart emails? And you have the ability to customize the email to your liking? Cart recovery emails have an open rate of 45%, and 50% of the people who opened them end up completing the purchase.
Is it normal to have a high cart abandonment rate?
The average store has an abandonment rate of nearly 70%, so you are definitely not alone! Like we mentioned earlier, a few of the ways you can help combat this is by having a simple checkout process and sending follow-up emails.
How can I improve my conversion rate?
While this isn’t necessarily a marketing tactic, it can improve your conversions, which plays into your marketing strategy. One of the main reasons ecommerce sites lose out on customers is by having a checkout process that is either complicated, too long, even hard to find, or doesn’t offer a quick payment method.
Customers who arrive to the last step of their purchasing journey expect it to be seamless, so don’t let the payment method be the reason they abandon their checkout cart. Offering multiple payment methods at checkout can help optimize your conversion rate, as it makes the checkout process run easier for customers. Here are some additional payment methods you want to offer in your checkout:
- Apple Pay
- Google Pay
- Shop Pay
- Facebook pay
- Amazon pay
How should I handle about out-of-stock products on my website?
There are two approaches for out-of-stock product pages. If the product is coming back into stock soon, be sure to keep the URL live and leave a message on the page so that your customers know that the product is out of stock and they can fill out a form to be notified when the product is back. Keeping the page around means that it remains useful and can be updated again when the product comes back into stock.
If the product is not coming back, the page should be deleted and redirected so that you don’t hurt the user experience on your website, as having a boatload of 404 pages on your site can hurt your appearance on SERPs (search engine result pages).
What about seasonal collections pages?
Just because your seasonal collections page is no longer relevant doesn’t mean it should be neglected. We recommend keeping these pages on the site, but also indicating that the products within are no longer available to prevent any confusion.
Another way to make these pages less prominent is to remove them from the main navigation and add a message that declares that the products are now out of season and will return for the next season. This is a great place to promote other products for the next season or any newer products you are looking to gain traction on.
Should I run paid ads? Do they work for ecommerce brands?
We’ve seen great success for online retailers who’ve utilized Google, Facebook, Instagram Ads. There are various ad types that are available on each of these platforms, so here are the one’s we’d recommend trying.
- Google Ads – Shopping campaigns (via Google Merchant Center), text ads, and display ads
- Facebook Ads – Carousel, image, and video ads (these are best for remarketing!)
- Instagram Ads – Image, story, video, collection, and shopping ads
And if you are a clothing retailer Pinterest may also be worth a shot!
Is social media important for ecommerce brands?
Apps such as Instagram, TikTok, and Pinterest all allow you to add products to your profiles. And if you are in the retail space, utilizing free profiles is a must. Social commerce sales were set to increase 30.8% in 2023 according to Oberlo. These platforms are widely used by shoppers as they allow them to view products from different brands all at once.
How can I use user generated content in my strategy?
From the reviews your customers leave, you can use them to take some work off your plate. Use them as case studies, on your website, and even as social media and email content. It shouldn’t shock you that 95% of users read reviews before they shop, so making your front and center of your marketing can help produce great results.
How can I get my products in the “Images” tab on Google?
As an online shopper, you yourself have probably found yourself using image search to look for a specific product. Having your product photos rank well in image search can help bring more users to your site, and all it takes is simply adding proper image metadata and schema to your page! Being descriptive with details about the product color, size, material, and more can help you rank for a variety of long-tail keywords you may not otherwise be able to target.
What Makes Us Different
Sixth City Marketing has been helping businesses of all shapes and sizes reach their marketing goals through the different online channels we help manage. Here are some things that we believe makes us stand out from other ecommerce digital marketing agencies:
- Our #1 goal will always be to get your business results
- We’ve helped a variety of diverse industries succeed
- We work with platforms, such as Shopify, Squarespace, and BigCommerce
- Our team is 100% in-house, providing higher-quality work
- We have 25+ years of collective experience in marketing
- We are centrally located in Ohio but serve all over the U.S. and Canada
Strategies We Recommend for Ecommerce Retailers
Keyword analysis and monitoring – To bring in your ideal customers to different pages on your site, we evaluate numerous keywords with a variety of search volumes to find which ones cater to your site the most, and will bring in the most sales. We then use these terms in SEO and PPC campaigns and monitor their success throughout the time we work with you.
Content writing and optimization – Our team regularly updates and writes new content for our clients’ pages to guarantee they present the latest details on your offerings and help search engines know you are keeping your site up to date and fresh.
Competitor research – To understand why competitors are ranking higher for terms and keywords similar to your business, it’s important to look into what they’re doing differently. We evaluate their content, backlinks, ads, technical aspects, and more.
Blog post writing – When you have a blog on your website, you can expand on your overall website content, as well as rank higher for specific keywords and get more backlinks to your site. Also, guest blog post writing is beneficial in getting more backlinks that help attract new users to your site.
Link building – We can help your domain become stronger in the eyes of search engines through finding quality websites to get your mentioned on. Whether it be various directories, news or magazine sites, or anything else, we can conduct outreach to help.
Technical enhancements – Over the years, we have often seen ecommerce sites potential being held back from components of their website such as speed, user-ability, mobile-friendliness and alike. We’d be happy to discuss this with you if we uncover any major drawbacks with your site’s platform.
Design for conversion – We have the ability to help refresh your site’s look and performance by applying the principles of conversion optimization. Through this, we edit your page’s templates in a way that helps customers make purchases easier, resulting in more sales.
Ecommerce Marketing Strategies You Should Be Doing to Get More Sales
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – With creating crafted content on your site, conducting diligent competitor research, managing Google Shopping listings, and performing link building, there are various techniques to implement in SEO campaigns to help maximize your online presence and obtain more sales.
- Web Design and Development – We often find that what is holding back a brand’s potential online is their current website’s structure and design. From limitations in the content management system to poor design that turns away potential customers, we are able to diagnose issues and redesign your site to be more fluid and support your marketing efforts.
- Conversion Rate Optimization – Our design and SEO team are able to diagnose key issues with your site’s current page templates, speed, and overall user experience that are affecting your conversion rate. We can make small, but impactful, changes to your site to help correct this.
- Pay Per Click (PPC) – Alongside helping you climb up in rankings organically on search engines, we can also manage ad campaigns that target your ideal audience based on age, income, what they are searching for, and more. We will also write concise ads and create custom landing pages to accompany them.
- Email Marketing – We can build a strong list of email subscribers, write tailored newsletters, and design eye-catching email templates that can help you get more sales from customers new and old via email marketing.
- Social Media Marketing – Promoting your brand online is an essential channel to help show your followers new items you have in stock when popular products are restocked, and, of course, any promotions you run. Our team can write posts for various outlets and schedule them on your behalf.
- Paid Social Media – Combining traditional PPC and social media marketing, paid social media advertising allows us to run ads to various audience types on Facebook, Instagram and more based on unique targeting.
- Consulting and Auditing – Alongside digital marketing services that we offer for long-term agreements, we can also work with you as a consultant where we give your team ideas and strategies they should implement to help improve your marketing efforts.
Examples of Our Work
Bruening Glass Works
We helped transform Bruening Glass Works from a small Cleveland business to an international glass repair shop. Through SEO and redesigning their WordPress site, we were able to:
- Increase monthly traffic by 1,528%
- Generate an average of 12 leads per day outside of Cleveland
- Increased qualified leads, with 90% turning into sales
As a leading provider of global manufacturing control solutions, Shini was looking to grow their online presence. Through PPC, SEO, and optimization for conversion, year to year we were able to:
- Increase overall monthly traffic from 1,142 to 1,464 (28%)
- Increase in monthly SEO traffic from 77 to 564 (632%)
- Increased monthly leads from 17 to 39 (129%)
Valco Valley Tool & Die
When we first started working with Valco, their leads were down after a website redesign. That’s when we stepped in to help through SEO and additional design tweaks to help conversions. Year over year, we then saw:
- Overall site conversion rate increased to 4.6% vs. 1.54%
- Increase in visits per month to 2,910 vs. 1,362 (114%)
- Increase in online inquiries per month to 135 vs. 21 (543%)
What Makes Us Stand Out
Given we have been in business since 2010, we have a lot of experience dealing with anything thrown our way. So when you want us to switch up our strategy, or if you want to expand, we can swiftly make changes based on your needs.
Our #1 focus is, and will always be, getting you results. We even have the ability to include ROI data that can help you see how what we are doing for your business is working.
While our headquarters are in Cleveland, we would be happy to work with you no matter where you are located. Whether you prefer in-person meetings or Zoom, we can make it work so no communication is lost.
If you browse our website, you will see a variety of reviews from our former and current clients detailing their experience with our team. And if you like, we can also provide you with additional references as well.
You can trust that no matter what, we will always be open and honest with you in all forms of communication. So either it is in your monthly reports, or monthly meeting, we will always be transparent.
“I’ve worked with Sixth City Marketing for multiple years now for my PPC and SEO needs. They have consistently delivered a high-quality product, are professional, and deeply care about their customers. They listen to my business needs and work with me to help my business grow. I’ve seen a massive improvement in the quality of leads, website visitors, and click-through rate. My website has experienced immediate positive results from suggested website changes, with increased forms completed, increased phone calls, and increased pages per visit. Other PPC companies I’ve worked with just waste ad spend, while Sixth City Marketing makes use of every penny.” – Jennifer Hristovski, SprayWorks
Start Growing Your Ecommerce Site with Digital Marketing
At Sixth City Marketing, we take a deep dive into your website and your goals to craft you a custom ecommerce marketing strategy that brings long-lasting results.
So if you are you interested in learning more about how we can help you get more sales online with customized ecommerce marketing, get in touch with our team today.