Why Construction Companies Need Digital Marketing
Updated on 01/15/2024
Short answer: To get more leads! To help your business grow, much like a garden, you need to mend it. And implementing digital marketing is a great way to keep your site updated, fresh, and paving the way to get found by more people.
So whether you’re a newer contracting company growing your business locally, or an established company expanding to new cities, internet marketing is the solution you need.
What is Construction Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing is the parent of a variety of online marketing services, such as search engine optimization (SEO), pay per click (PPC), email marketing, social media marketing, and website design and development. All these services can be used a la carte to help your business improve it’s appearance online and gain more leads. For construction companies, it requires a unique approach that is tailored to your audience, location, and various other factors. These strategies can be applied to businesses related to construction in any way, too, so if you sell construction-related software, manufacture equipment, or anything else whether its direct to consumers or other businesses, digital marketing can help.Contact Our Strategists
Construction Marketing Commonly (and Uncommonly) Asked Questions
What is digital marketing?
Digital marketing is the parent of a variety of online marketing services, such as search engine optimization (SEO), pay per click (PPC), email marketing, social media marketing, and website design and development. All these services can be used a la carte to help your business improve it’s appearance online and gain more leads. For construction companies, it requires a unique approach that is tailored to your audience, location, and various other factors. These strategies can be applied to businesses related to construction in any way, too, so if you sell construction-related software, manufacture equipment, or anything else, digital marketing can help.
Here are a few quick tips to help improve your digital marketing:
- Create relevant and useful web content for your site that shows your authority and educates your users. Topics such as “how much does an expansion cost” or “cost of buying an office vs. building new” that not only can showcase your services, but are targeted towards people in the beginning of their search journey.
- If you want to run PPC ads, target your Facebook, Instagram and Google Ad campaigns to your key audience using the filters available. Things such as location, age, income, and search interests are all things you can implement in PPC campaigns. Pro-tip: Photos are key for construction companies since it showcases the final product.
- Implement Google Analytics on your site so you can learn which pages convert the best with your audience if you haven’t already. With analytics, you can see which pages covert the best and get the most traffic, which can help you expand on your content strategy.
- Utilize social media to show you are active in the local area and your completed projects. When you have your profiles linked out from your header or footer, they are easily accessible for users and they can act a free portfolio of your current and past projects.
- Gain backlinks from businesses you have partnered with, whether it be you completed their project, or you got mentioned in the news for something you’ve done, be sure that if your company is mentioned online you are properly attributed for it via a backlink.
- Claim your listing Google Business Profiles (GBP) and other local directory sites like Angi and Yelp to ensure you are findable from potential customers in your local area. And when you optimize your GBP, collect reviews, add your services, and maintain posts and photos, you are more likely to be found on Google Maps, like these businesses below:
As you can see, all these businesses have made their way onto the local 3-pack, and you can see different details that Google pulls from the information they have added to their profile to highlight, such as how long they’ve been open (adding experience), how people have rated them (builds trustworthiness), and what they specialize in (showing expertise).
What is the difference between marketing for residential construction vs commercial construction?
One of the main differences between marketing for commercial or residential construction would be whether they serve regionally or nationally or both.
Most residential construction companies only build within their city limits, so they would want to focus on local SEO heavily. This means that all of a residential construction company’s strategy would be designed for a set region. Certain tactics used for local SEO would include:
- Claiming your Google Business Profile – As discussed above, this will ensure that customers will be more likely to find you on Google Maps. Especially when local competition is high, updating your profile will help increase your ranking.
- Write location-focused landing pages – Including this on your website will help you show up for local search results. It’s also advantageous to tie the location you’re in with specific keywords. For example, if you’re tracking the keyword “house construction” you’ll want to add your city to it, such as “house construction in Columbus.”
- Build local links to your website – This can be done by including other local businesses, sponsorships, local directories, and more on your website.
Commercial construction companies that serve nationally would want to have a national focus for their SEO strategies. If you have multiple offices across the states, you’d want to also incorporate a local SEO focus in those markets, but it overall depends on how your company does business. If you have a national focus, you will be competing with other larger construction companies, so it’s important to differentiate yourself by implementing a user-friendly website, conducting keyword research, adding in quality information such as blog posts, link building, and more.
Does marketing really help construction companies?
Yes, there is various evidence of marketing helping a construction company business. Here are some key statistics to know:
- For construction services, the conversion rate for advertisements on Google Search is about 2.27% (Zipdo)
- 69% of marketers who worked in the construction industry felt that original written content was the most useful advertising tactic in 2020 (Zipdo)
- In the U.S. the construction industry spends more than $10 billion each year on advertising (Zipdo)
- 63% of construction companies implement strategies that include social media and digital advertising to target younger customers (ACG)
- Each month, 1.7 million people search for independent contractors (Constant Contact)
- In 2021, over 80% of construction companies chose to invest in online advertising (Zipdo)
- 97% of consumers search for more information on local companies online (Constant Contact)
How should I structure my website?
Most construction company’s websites lack service and location pages, so we recommend adding those. This will open up a wider customer base and differentiate you from competitors. Here is an example of what a site’s navigation should look like, and has helped our construction clients in the past:
- Our Locations
- How We Help
- Construction Management
- General contracting
This will organize your website but also highlight the specific services and locations that your company works with.
What types of keywords should I target?
Keywords are crucial to target for both SEO and PPC strategies. It can help you get the data you need so you can understand which keywords get the most qualified leads. Different keywords to target depending on the kind of construction company you can include:
- Residential construction:
- Home building services
- New home construction
- Home remodeling
- Residential construction company
- House renovation contractors
- Kitchen remodeling
- New home construction
- Design-build homes
- Commercial construction:
- Office building construction
- Retail space construction
- Corporate construction
- Renovation of commercial spaces
- Commercial property development
- Construction project management
- Design-build construction
- Commercial building contractors
How can I build helpful content?
Helpful content is Google’s way of encouraging users to provide relevant information on your website. This can include continuously updated pages, content written by an expert, references and links, and in-depth articles. Your content overall should be valuable and well-researched for your audience. Google ranks content based on how useful it is for users, so it’s important to implement helpful content as much as you can on your website.
A great way to include helpful information for your audience is by simply answering some FAQs. Take a look at M/I Homes FAQ page, where they answer various questions that their audience may be wondering about their company. Their FAQ section not only addresses common questions potential customers may have, but their answers help push users to convert into paying customers.
By implementing strategies geared towards Google’s helpful content, you’ll see more success within your pages.
How do you show results through your campaigns?
By investing in our services, results are shown through obtaining more qualified leads, increase sales from your website, improve overall online presence, and see ROI in our services. Since all our clients have different goals, we will surely talk over what you want to gain from investing in us before we start the campaign.
Do I have to invest in all of your services?
Unlike other agencies, we work with you to see what combination of our digital marketing offerings will bring your construction business the most success. We are also very flexible, and can pivot to other approaches if you wish to try something different.
“John and his team at Sixth City are smart, passionate, and friendly. A great team to collaborate with!” – Will Duderstadt, M/I Homes
We Help Construction Companies With 100% Customized Digital Marketing Strategies
Companies and individuals who are in need of construction services for their projects can choose from a wide variety of vendors, making online exposure, brand reputation, and overall online appearance key to landing contracts.
By implementing essential marketing tactics through channels like SEO, PPC, and more, you can attract the customers you need to boost your business and increase your revenue.
Sixth City Marketing has extensive experience working with clients in diverse industries including construction and is adept at analyzing the unique aspects of a business and providing tailored solutions. So whether you expertise is in commercial or residential construction, we can help.
Let’s take a moment to look at all we can provide.
Digital Services Our Construction Marketing Agency Can Provide
- Search Engine Optimization – Our in-house staff is skilled in making tailored adjustments to your site’s copy, meta titles, images, speed, backlink profile, and more all in order to help search engines better rank your site for the terms most relevant to your business.
- Local SEO – For clients who serve just a specific region, a special strategy is needed that is more hyper focused on helping you rank for key terms like “home builder near me” or similar terms that fit your niche.
- Pay Per Click– Pay-per-click marketing is a great way to get your business in front of qualified leads on search engines. Our team can craft effective ads and run tailored campaigns targeting specific keywords, age, income, gender, location, and more.
- Email Marketing – As another way to keep a line in the water with potential clients in your pipeline, or to address your current customer base, we can utilize email marketing to send out tailored messaging that will increase sales.
- Website Design and Development– Does your website need sprucing up? Our team can design a custom site just for your business in WordPress, Shopify, Drupal, or whatever content management system you prefer. Best of all, during our site redesigns we incorporate proven techniques for forms and calls to action that will bring in more business.
- Social Media– Our team can write, edit, and post updates on diverse social media channels such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and more. We can additionally work to build your presence online and boost your follower count.
- Paid Social Media – Alongside running ads on search engines, we also have the ability to reach potential customers by displaying ads on Facebook, Instagram, and more that showcase your services and past work.
We Can Report and Measure Your Improvement
One of the best aspects about our marketing for construction companies is that we provide our clients monthly reports that are easy to understand and digest.
Our short monthly reports provide insights on the work we’ve conducted for the month, how traffic has changed on your site, how any PPC campaigns are performing, and more.
Additionally, we emphasize measurement in our reporting to ensure that the construction marketing tactics we have employed are giving you the results you deserve.
We send out monthly reports showing data including:
- Changes in website traffic (organic, paid, direct, and referral)
- Lead increases via forms and phone calls
- Search engine keyword ranking
- CPC improvements
- Much more!
We have significant experience marketing for businesses in the construction field, having worked with companies that specialize in horizontal directional drilling, prefabricated walls, air curtains for construction projects, and more.
Additionally, we have worked with a wide array of businesses in connected fields such as manufacturing and the supply chain industry. If you’re looking for a construction marketing agency that can quickly learn the key facets of your industry and craft tailored strategies, Sixth City is it.
Case Study: SEO for M/I Homes, A New Home Building Company
M/I Homes based in Columbus Ohio is a home building construction company that is located across the country in 16 major cities. They specialize in building customizable homes for families from the ground up.
The team at M/I Homes wanted to maximize their online traffic after redesigning their website and that’s where our team at Sixth City stepped in. We focused our campaign on increasing organic traffic and online leads to M/I Homes different locations.
We implemented a variety of SEO services to drive the biggest ROI including:
- Keyword research
- Content creation and optimization
- Google local profile management
As a result, we saw an increase of 10,000 visitors through organic search to the M/I Homes website. In comparing September 1-27, 2018 to the same period in 2017 there was an overall website traffic increase of 48%, organic website traffic increase of 12%, and new users on the website increased by 58%.
If you are interested in learning more about other businesses we have helped, head on to our case studies page and learn more about the places we have helped make a difference.
Get to Know Sixth City Marketing
Our main goal during our digital marketing campaigns is to deliver results by improving a site’s overall online presence, with helping boost your site with tactics that can last for years to come. This makes it a timeless investment for your business.
We do this by designing a unique marketing strategy for each of our clients, there are no one-size-fits all strategies here. Our clients can also trust that we will have open communication about the results our campaign and have to navigate the ever-changing playing field.
Do You Build New Homes? Here’s Why You Need Digital Marketing Too
- Flexible – Home builder digital marketing encompasses many different tactics and can be tailored to your specific goals. From SEO to PPC and more, you can choose what’s best for you.
- Reach a large audience – Online marketing has no borders, really, which means you can market to audiences outside of your geographic location if you’re looking to expand. You can also target a specific demographic that will give you qualified leads.
- Measurable results – Unlike traditional marketing methods, digital marketing provides you with concrete and reliable reports that display clicks, conversions, visitors, and more.
- Easily adaptable – The great thing about home builder digital marketing is that you can optimize your content so easily. When you notice a landing page isn’t performing well, you can go in, change up the content to match keywords, and watch your SERPs rankings soar to the top!
- Cost-effective – When it comes to digital marketing, the main “cost” is your time. Outside of your vendor expense, SEO, content marketing, and social media management are free! These certain strategies will not have you breaking the bank where billboards and newspapers would. Even with PPC, you can set your budget to what is affordable to you.
- Overtake your competitors – Since many brands are moving their marketing strategies online, having a digital marketing campaign in place can build brand awareness against both your local and national competitors.
Our home builder digital marketing agency will use our experts’ skills and experience to boost your business and get you the customers you’ve been seeking.
“I’ve worked with Sixth City Marketing for multiple years now for my PPC and SEO needs. They have consistently delivered a high-quality product, are professional, and deeply care about their customers. They listen to my business needs and work with me to help my business grow. I’ve seen a massive improvement in the quality of leads, website visitors, and click-through rate. My website has experienced immediate positive results from suggested website changes, with increased forms completed, increased phone calls, and increased pages per visit. Other PPC companies I’ve worked with just waste ad spend, while Sixth City Marketing makes use of every penny.” – Jennifer Hristovski, SprayWorks
Does Your Construction Business Need a Marketing Boost? Let’s Get Started Today
If you’re looking to take your construction marketing to new heights, be sure to reach out to Sixth City Marketing. Our expert home builder digital marketing agency will assess the unique needs of your business and help you get the business you’ve been wanting!