Updated on 02/13/2024
The game of generating new customers for organizations that focus on construction is challenging. Reaching your niche audience (whether it’s consumers or other businesses) can also be tough as traditional marketing can be too broad, expensive and immeasurable (in terms of what leads and calls drive sales).
This is why SEO has become a preferable marketing channel for businesses in the construction industry.
Our SEO for Construction Companies Can Improve Your Revenue in 2024 and Beyond
This page will share some construction website strategies and tips for how you can improve your SEO. Our goal with sharing this is to be helpful.
However, if you need more immediate help and are looking for a vendor to partner with, please feel free to reach out to us using the form on this page.
“John and his team at Sixth City are smart, passionate, and friendly. A great team to collaborate with!” – Will Duderstadt, M/I Homes
Common Questions, Concerns, and Solutions to Help Your SEO Strategy in 2024
What is Construction SEO?
Search Engine Optimization for construction companies is a process that involves making strategic changes both on your website (content, web design, multimedia) and off your website (Google Business Profile, reviews, inbound links from other websites) to gain a higher position on search engines. The goal of the process is to ultimately demonstrate to search engines that you are an authority in your niche. If you can demonstrate to Google, Bing and Yahoo that you are influential in either your local area or nationally, this can put you in front of customers looking for your construction services.
What Should Commercial and Residential Construction Companies Do Differently?
Depending on your business, you either fall under B2B (business to business) or B2C (business to customer), respectively. Due to this, the tactics and strategies you focus on and implement may be pretty different, but several will overlap, including basic content on your site that details your services, blog posts that help customers learn information, and more.
Things residential construction companies will do differently, that many commercial companies won’t focus on as hard include:
- Optimizing your local profiles on Google, Bing, and Apple
- This includes filling out your services, descriptions, and consistently adding photos
- Gathering honest reviews from customers on these profiles, and also Angi and Yelp
- Obtaining local links from other businesses you work closely with (other contractors, etc.)
How Can I Rank High In The Local Listings on Google and Bing?
Going further into some of what we explained above, the process of ranking high in a specific region is called local SEO. Local SEO merits doing things a little differently than normal SEO or national SEO. The holy grail of ranking in a local area is the number 1 spot in the map pack or maps listings on Google or Bing. These will help you stand out in general and from national competitors that don’t have a location in your area.
The three biggest things to look at or invest time into that help with local SEO include:
- The proximity of your business address to the city that you want to rank in. If you are not within the city limits of the city you want to appear in the maps listings for, you are in for a tougher journey to rank than a business that has a listing in that area. Due to this, we either recommend focusing just on closer suburbs, or moving or obtaining additional office space in the downtown metro area.
- The extent that your local profiles on Google and Bing are not only claimed but also complete. You’ll want to fill in as much information as possible for what these profiles are asking for. Again, this means photos, services, and much more.
- Your review count on your Google Business Profile is critical, which is why we mentioned it as a tactic for residential construction companies. You’ll want to set up a process to ask your customers for reviews and make sure that you are getting reviews regularly (monthly) to your Google Business Profile.
How Can SEO Help Me Gain More Construction Projects
You can consider people looking for your construction services as “warmer prospects.” They are actively seeking vendors or contractors to help with their project. These could be homeowners looking for a new house or another business looking to subcontract construction work out. The biggest difference with the search engine customer is that they are in an active researching and buying stage which is a great type of customer to target.
Here are some statistics that might convince you to invest in SEO:
- Your competition is doing it: 73% of construction companies say they plan to increase spending on SEO, and 66% are outsourcing it to a reputable agency to help
- People are looking for you: The number of people searching for contractors every month is 7 million!
- It can perform better than PPC: SEO is 85% more likely to improve site traffic compared to PPC
- Direct marketing is fading: Tactics such as direct mail are being phased out as a working option by other construction companies
Where Can I Get More Backlinks?
Getting more links pointing to your domain, and most important pages, can be super helpful in giving your site the leverage it needs to rank above your competitors. Back in the day, link building was all about getting as many links as you could as quickly as possible. Now a days, quality over quantity is the name of the game. However, finding industry-relevant sites for construction companies is quite the battle. Here are a few ideas that come to mind that you could look into:
- Offering knowledge to reporters on Qwoted, Featured, or Help a B2B Writer
- Connecting with journalists who cover the construction news beat
- Creating partnerships and sponsorships with local businesses
- Sending press releases for nominations and awards
- Getting added to lists for “Top 10 Construction Companies in [city]” or alike
- Creating business listings in niche directories
- Reaching out to collaborate on content for industry-related news sites
These are just a few angles you could use to come up with unique ways to get more links to your website.
What Types of Content Should I Have on My Site?
With construction companies, we often see that their content is pretty thin, and that they don’t have a ton of pages on their site that target the different areas they serve, industries they cater to, and specific construction services they can do.
Here is an example of what you should be showcasing via your site’s navigation, including some elements pulled directly from a construction company we worked with and helped with SEO:
- Project Types
- Construction management
- New York
How Can I Increase Conversion Rates
Something we often see with construction companies is that their website is lacking mobile responsiveness, meaning that when potential customers are looking at their website on a cellphone, it doesn’t properly adapt and display on the different screen size.
Due to this, you may have a high bounce rate, or low conversion rate as people grow frustrated with the difficulty in contacting you.
This comes down to your design for conversion, and user experience, which will not only improve response from your site, but could also help your rankings.
Check out this free tool from Google to test how your site performs on mobile devices.
Do Awards and Recognitions Matter?
Yes. Not only will showcasing the awards you’ve won and certifications you have help build trust with potential clients, but also with search engines. In the SEO world, there is an acronym, E-E-A-T, that stands for expertise, experience, authority, and trustworthiness. Like we mentioned earlier, when you are able to prove through your content and site structure that you’re an expert, have good user experience, are an authoritative brand in your niche, and can be trusted by users, you’re likelihood of ranking higher increase exponentially.
Are there Different Types of SEO?
It can be easy to think that search engine optimization is just making a few small adjustments to your website in hopes you can rank above your competitors. In reality, there are various types of SEO that exist: on-page SEO, off-page SEO, technical SEO, and local SEO. These all utilize different strategies and approaches that are then customized to a client to produce results.
How Do I Start Working With You?
Whether it be you are currently working with another firm, or just getting started in outsourcing your marketing, we can help. After talking with you about goals, budget, target keywords, and more, typically to start working with a new client we will need access to your analytics accounts, website login information, and anything else that pertains to your campaign.
Our Services Will Help Your Construction Company
Want to outsource your search engine optimization efforts? Some benefits of allowing our team to tackle SEO for construction include:
- More traffic and leads – When you optimize your content, Google will boost your rankings. The higher your placement on search engine results, the more likely users will end up on your site. You will gain more traffic, bringing in more leads and revenue for your company!
- User-friendly website – Implementing SEO services for your construction company will result in a cleaner and more organized website design. A better website for customers to navigate will result in more sales.
- Increased keyword results – Quality SEO tactics target specific words for your content, helping relevant customers to find you. When you optimize your pages with the right keywords, you’ll get more qualified leads from your users’ website visits.
- Trustworthiness – Users trust Google. Having your construction company displayed at the top of the search engine page will give your website more authority in the eyes of potential customers, making it likely they will choose your business over that of a competitor.
- More brand awareness – From all the work we do outside of your website, along with our efforts to grow your social media presence, your brand mentions will increase, helping to boost your business in your service area(s).
Our Approach to SEO for Construction Companies
At Sixth City Marketing, our team is driven to reach your companies target audience, location, and overall goals. With keeping that in mind, we have centered around SEO campaigns to make that all happen.
Some of the tactics we consider implementing for construction companies include:
- Keyword research – We will evaluate which specific keywords will rank well for your business to help reach your construction company’s goals.
- Metadata optimization – Our team is always updating metadata including the target keywords that will help get clicks from potential customers.
- Competitor research – Conducting searches on different competitors that rank above you in SERPs helps our team determine our approach to our work. This is especially important for construction companies because this targets a more local audience.
- Spam fighting – We will investigate companies that are breaking policy on Google Maps to increase their rankings. This is done by submitting spam submissions to help level the playing field.
- Blog writing – Our experienced team of writers will develop creative blog posts pertaining to your business to help increase your sites ranking and gain more traffic for long tail keywords.
- Schema implementation – Implementing schema can help boost your sites overall value as it better helps search engines understand your website.
- Speed improvements – No one is willing to wait for a website that has a long load time, and our team is aware of that. We will ensure your website’s speed is fast and efficient. We will ensure your sites speed is continuously being updated, which also
Our Construction SEO Experience: M/I Homes
Because of this, we have all the experience needed for your construction SEO services.
For instance, we have the experience of helping Columbus-based new home builders, M/I Homes, through our SEO tactics such as strategic content writing, keyword optimization, local SEO enhancements, and search console examination. Through this, compared to the previous year, we were able to:
- Raise traffic by 48%
- Increase organic traffic by 12%
- Boost new users by 58%
10 Key Steps of Our Construction SEO Marketing Process
When we start working with a new client, we have a set of steps that we take to craft a strategy and get the project off the ground, before we lead into the core of our work and data tracking. The steps of your campaign will likely include:
- Research of key terms and competitor analysis
- Creative strategy creation based on your targeting and goals
- Examining your local presence and making key adjustments
- Optimized content writing for your site, social channels, and emails
- User experience improvements for desktop, mobile and tablet
- Strategic link acquirement through directories and guest posts
- Technical improvements to metadata, site structure, speed, and images
- Tracking keyword changes as tasks are implemented
- Ongoing data analysis through Google Analytics tracking
- Monthly reporting, quarterly strategies, and meetings with your team
How Do We Show Results?
We measure results in your construction SEO campaign through increases in:
- Organic search engine traffic to your website
- Phone calls and leads through your site and Google Business Profiles
- Overall traffic and new users who have discovered your site
- Increases in keyword positions
- High-quality websites linking back to yours
Our team of experts is dedicated to learning the essentials of your business and producing tailored strategies, and our proven techniques allow us to increase qualified leads and website traffic. With our SEO services for construction, we can adhere to your target audience, attain your company’s goals, and generate leads for sales!
“I’ve worked with Sixth City on a few projects and can honestly say that the quality of the service and advice given has been 1st class. There’s a lot of charlatans out there, but these guys are the real deal. Strongly recommended.” – Greg Harding, Greg Harding Photography
The Sixth City Difference
Our Sixth City Marketing team has years of SEO experience working for a variety of clients in a wide range of industries, both B2B and B2C. For each of our clients, we develop a unique strategy for a specific business’s needs.
Why you should choose us for your construction company SEO:
- We are driven by results. Your business’s goals become ours.
- Nothing cookie cutter here. We create customized strategies for each of our clients.
- We are a small agency meaning we can focus on providing you the best quality possible. Sixth City strives for a great client relationship!
- Our SEO team is in-house and dedicated to responding to your needs.
- We focus on data. Our decisions are based on data and statistics from your site.
- Being located in Cleveland, Columbus, Indianapolis, Chicago, Nashville, and Pittsburgh, along with our online capabilities, allows us to serve your business no matter where you are.
- We do more than just SEO, so if you ever desire to switch gears, we can see what other services we offer could help.
Examples of SEO Success
Not only have we worked with construction companies to show proven results, but we’ve helped numerous other industries as well. Some of our other case studies include:
- TYKMA Electrox
- Kent State University – College of Business
- Bruening Glass Works
- Shini USA
- Valco Valley Tool & Die
- University Commons
- National Church Residences
– Water’s Edge of Lake Wales
Reach Out to Us for SEO for Construction Companies
We’re ready to provide essential SEO services for construction. Contact Sixth City Marketing today to get started!