Our Data-Focused Digital Marketing Agency Helps B2B Companies Get Results
Updated on 02/20/2024
For businesses that cater to other businesses, much like manufacturers, software providers, and alike, you require a different approach to your marketing strategy. Unlike most business-to-consumer types, your B2B company likely services a wider audience on a national scale. Because of this, majority of tactics you read about online might not apply.
Hi, we are Sixth City Marketing and we’ve worked hand in hand with B2B companies since 2010 with our ROI-focused approach. Keep on reading to learn what we believe it takes to get your brand seen online (leading to more sales for your business.)
How B2B Brands Can Expand Their Reach
- Customized search engine optimization
- Content marketing, link building, and technical enhancements
- Dedicated pay-per-click advertising
- On-going management of Google Ads, Bing Ads, or LinkedIn Ads
- Enhanced website design and development
And if you want to talk with our team on how we can help, click the button below. Otherwise, lets dive into our B2B digital marketing guide for 2024.Free Assessment
“I’ve worked with the team at Sixth City Marketing for about a year now, and they have been very helpful in improving my website’s visibility. The team is very knowledgeable and easy to work with. They are also easily accessible by phone or email, and respond quickly; the customer service is what separates them from the pack.” – David Kozak, Kozak Micro Adjusters
2024 Guide: Questions & Answers on Digital Marketing for B2B Companies
Differentiating Marketing Strategies for B2B and B2C
Business to business, or B2B, marketing strategies focus mainly on a product and its features that will benefit prospective companies. So when using digital marketing strategies to improve your brand’s marketing online (such as SEO, PPC, email marketing, and social media marketing) there isn’t much of an emotional appeal used to gain a given consumer. Instead, the company as a whole is promoted for its abilities to help another business or industry.
And since the purchasing process for a business takes more time than that of a consumer, it is crucial that you explain in depth all of the facets of your product or service. With more description, the more it is likely that your product or service will stand out and make a lasting impact with businesses than that of your competitors.
How to Conduct Keyword Research
The first step to any marketing campaign should be to determine what terms you want to target. Whether it be you are focusing on SEO or PPC, this is a crucial part of the process. Here are a few tools we use at our agency that you should consider:
- WordStream –This tool uses data from Google Ads but bypasses you needing to sign up. It can help you see specific pricing for terms and also search volume. One of the best parts is that it will automatically add related terms for you to compare to and consider.
- Google Trends – This free tool from Google can help you asses the seasonality of your keywords, which can help you determine when to run dedicated ads campaigns in certain markets.
- SE Ranking – After you have figured out what keywords you want to rank for, this tool will also allow you to track progress of your rankings on search engines over time, which can help you then determine what pages are doing well and which ones need more work.
Deciding to Focus on Local vs National
While majority of B2Bs service nationally, or even internationally, however, if you have offices in various locations, and you’ve found that most of your sales come from those markets, a local approach may be a better opportunity.
For multiple office locations, utilize Google Business Profiles
In order to ranking in Google’s local pack or on Google Maps, the first step is setting up Google Business Profiles (formerly Google My Business.) You will need to go through some inital steps to get these listings verified, but once they are up and running, we recommend doing your best to fill them out completely. This includes:
- Business name
- Main category
- Secondary categories
- Phone number
You also will need to gather reviews for your listings to further your chances of ranking well locally. And even more so, Google reviews will help highlight to prospective customers that you are a legitimate business they can trust.
And if you run Google ads campaigns, you can also enable location extensions in your search campaigns and connect your ads account with your Google Business Profile for even more reach.
If you have only one location, local might be less important
On the other hand, if you only have your headquarters, and mainly get clients from outside areas, then focusing on local marketing tactics is less important. In your case, you will want to focus on having content on your website that caters to the specific industries your ideal clients are in.
Back to top of page
Explaining Ads Types & How to Choose Which is Best for You
Given there are a variety of platforms you can choose from to run ads on, it can be tough to determine 1) which website is best and 2) what type of ad you should run. Here is a comprehensive breakdown that can help:
- Text Ads: These are the most standard form of ads, and consist of a headlines and short descriptions with a link to a landing page. Most popular on search engines such as Google and Bing.
- Image Ads: Using a banner with image and text, these ads are used in both Google Ads networks to appear on various websites online and on social media platforms within user feeds.
- Video Ads: In a short video clip, brands can showcase their product, service, or company before or after content users stream on popular sites such as YouTube, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
- Carousel Ads: These showcase multiple images or videos in a swipeable format and are used for displaying various products. Carosuel ads are most commonly found on Facebook.
Key Pages B2B Companies Need & How to Structure Your Navigation
The main things that companies look for when they outsource to another business is whether the company’s product or service fits their specific criteria, and if it will save them time and money. Because of this, we recommend that you cover all your bases when it comes to the types of content you present on your site.
For example, let’s say you are a third-party logistics company with different transportation options and multiple offices across the nation. Your business works mainly with industrial companies, but you’re trying to get more partnerships with other niches. In this case, a website architecture include parent and child pages that go as follow:
- Rail freight
- Container trucking
- Bulk transportation
- Dallas-Fort Worth
- San Diego
Statistics on B2B Digital Marketing You Should Know
- B2B buyers on average conduct over 10 different searches before interacting with a website
- 50% of B2B companies outsource one part of their marketing, with content being what is outsourced that most
- 43 % of B2B brands plan to increase their content marketing spending in 2024
- Most businesses only allocate 5% of their budget towards marketing
- 78% of B2B companies use lead conversions (form submissions, phone calls, etc) as a key performance metric
- 67% of the content that B2Bs focus on the most is top of the funnel content
How to Get More Links to Your Website
Obtaining more backlinks to your company’s site is highly important because it’ll help increase your authority as a brand and bring more traffic to your pages. There are a couple of ways that you can get more people to link to your website which include:
- Joining online directories, both locally and in your niche
- Creating online profiles on different platforms you use regularly
- Using PR tools to answer to journalists writing in your industry such as:
When doing link building, you will often hear the term “DA” thrown around. This is referring to something called Domain Authority, which is a grade created by the popular marketing software Moz. In theory, the higher DA a website has, the better it is. This is not necessarily always true! While this number can help you assess how popular a website is, often times, there are many quality websites with lower DAs that are more relevant to your industry. So be sure to celebrate any link wins you get, no matter the number.
What You Need to Know About Syndicated Content
Syndicated content, also known as bulk duplicate content, is when you add an extensive amount of written content to your website that is hosted from other platforms that distribute content to a widespread audience. The appeal to syndicated content is that it can be applied to your website immediately and it can save you time and money from writing your own material.
The downside is that if it’s indexed, it can hurt your website. Your website could also be viewed as low-quality in the eyes of search engines because the content you are posting is not unique. If you do want to include syndicated content, we (and Google) suggest that you do not index the content.
Why Digital Marketing Works for B2B Companies
Reading statistics to gauge the importance of marketing is one thing, but we understand that real life examples show real results. We’ve worked with an extensive amount of B2B companies in different industries and have seen a positive impact from digital marketing. We’ve published various case studies so you can see what best practices have led to results:
- After improving a metal parts producer’s webpages to have a “call-to-action” and adding more photos and videos of products, we saw:
- 114% increase in visits per month
- 543% increase in leads
- 06% increase in conversion rates
- By implementing SEO with a focus on new content with updated keywords, refreshing the website design, and changing the PPC campaign for a plastics machinery seller, they obtained:
- 28% increase in monthly visits
- 632% increase in organic traffic
- 129% increase in monthly leads
- For an industrial laser manufacturer, we applied what we learned from their Google Analytics data, redesigned their website to have a conversion focus, and crafted high-quality content, which resulted in:
- 402% increase in overall traffic
- 540% increase in search engine traffic
- 314% increase in monthly leads
Different Types of SEO to Help Your B2B Company
When understanding SEO and its role in a digital marketing strategy, it’s important to understand the four different types of SEO.
The first kind of SEO is on-page SEO. This can be seen as optimizing different parts of your website which includes keywords, headers, page titles, meta descriptions, images, and more. Working to also link to other internal webpages can help increase its authority and help Google understand your site better. On-page SEO overall helps Google understand your website better.
Next is off-page SEO. Off-page SEO helps increase your rankings but is achieved beyond your website. It can be seen as being mentioned by other websites and other reputable sources. As we discussed earlier on this page, you can start building outside links by creating guest blog posts for industry websites, helping reporters by providing industry insight, joining directories and more.
Next is technical SEO. This tactic is based around actions to help search engines crawl your website and better the user experience. This can be seen as working to improve website speed, designing your website to be mobile-friendly, ensuring there is a clean site structure, and adding schema.
Lastly, local SEO is another important area to have a focus on. This means optimizing your Google Business Profile and doing what you can to ensure your website will rank high for local searches. This type of SEO is crucial if you are serving your target audience in a specific location.
Improving Conversions on Your B2B Website
To improve conversion rates on your B2B website, here are some strategies that you can follow:
- Create a design for conversion – Designing a website that helps guide the user to convert can be a key strategy to see results. This can even be done without an entire website redesign. Changes such as moving forms up on pages, adding calls-to-action, promoting your phone number and more can help.
- Better user experience – By creating a website that is user-friendly, visitors will more likely interact with what your website has to offer, which will help boost conversions.
Paid Advertising for B2B Companies
When looking into PPC for your B2B company here are a couple things you should keep in mind:
- Design captivating ads – Include headlines and descriptions that will encourage users to click the ad that include not only your target keyword but also use enticing lingo.
- Create a unique landing page – Once a user clicks on your ad, you’ll want to lead them to a landing page that aligns with the ad, brand, and your objectives. For example, if you goal is to increase conversions, make sure a form is front and center.
- Narrow down your audience – When running a PPC campaign, be sure to target based on location, user interest, age, intent, more. This is also a great way to run different tests to see which markets, demographics, etc. convert the best.
By running a PPC campaign you’ll be able to see various benefits for your company:
- Increased visibility on search results above organic
- Ability to have a controlled budget and ad schedule
- Flexible campaign management
- Competitive advantage through setting bids
- Utilization of platforms such as Google Ads, Facebook Ads, and LinkedIn Ads
Best Type of Website Content To Have
When you’re trying to determine what kinds of content to include on your website, we have a couple of recommendations:
- FAQs – Include various questions that customers may ask; this will help make your website more helpful for the user. It also will show your knowledge on various services and products.
- Tutorials – Have a tutorial page that addresses important industry techniques on your page to help display industry expertise. This is a great place to supplement content with video.
- Case studies or success stories – Include information about one of your clients and how your products and services helped them.
- Industry resources – Write content that is relevant to your niche that shares insights of the best tools, platforms, forums, etc. Creating content centered around various stats in your industry is also a great way to have content that organically gets backlinks.
Each of these options highlights the importance of showing that you’re a trustworthy resource in your industry.
How to Get Started Marketing Your Business
Depending on if you decide to take on marketing your B2B company alone, or outsource to a specialized agency (like ourselves) the next steps you take will be quite different. If you are going at it alone, what you need to do next is start planning out your strategy to tackle the various digital marketing inivitites we highlighted above. This includes keyword planning, setting up tracking software for analytics, goals, and keywords, and dedicating time to knocking the work out. However, if you want to leave it to the pros, we’d be happy to help. You can claim your free website assessment through the form on this page to get started.
We’re Here to Help From Strategy to Execution
Like we mentioned at the top of this page, we’ve been working closely with B2B companies since 2010, which is when we first opened our doors. And since then, we’ve grown to a small but mighty team of 20. Our team has varying background experience in marketing, business, journalism, and design, and together we have 30+ years of collective experience.
From our vast experience with B2B brands, we’ve had the pleasure of helping many different industries, including:
If you want to read specific examples of our work with these industries, we encourage you to head on over to our case studies page to learn more about our past work.
How We Help B2B Brands with Digital Marketing
- Content writing & editing – We have talented writers on staff who can help reshape the content on your website, your paid ads, and landing pages. So whether it be you want to increase your rankings on Google and beat out your competitors, or A/B test your ads campaign, our content marketers can help.
- Brand authority building – Did you know that search engines can grade the trustworthiness and authority of your website based on who is linking to you? We strive to build high-quality links in creative ways to help maximize your reach.
- Paid ads management – If you’re running a business or marketing department, it can be tough to give your Google, Bing, or LinkedIn ads campaign the attention they deserve. Our in-house PPC team will keep close eyes on your campaigns to ensure your budget is spent wisely.
- Technical assessments – Oftentimes, we see that pesky website errors are what is holding B2B websites back from reaching their full potential. We can audit your site from a technical improvement and make a plan to tackle these errors to help get it back in better health.
- Conversion optimization – Have you noticed that your site gets a lot of traffic, but low conversions? This can be due to a lack of design for conversion. Our designers have a set strategy to identify and correct design flaws that hold people back from converting to help your business get a boost.
- Complete design overhauls – Whether it be you’re annoyed with the content management system your site is built in, or you are looking to refresh your outdated design from 1997, we’ve redesigned various B2B websites in easy-to-use platforms that enhance the look and feel of your brands appearance.
“Sixth City does an excellent job helping us with our marketing! They communicate well, respond quickly, and are easy to work with! We have significantly improved our SEO and website traffic by working with them and I would highly recommend their company to anyone who needs marketing help.” – Bill Madl, Ashtonne Packaging
Let Us Be Your Dedicated B2B Digital Marketing Agency
If you are looking to outsource your digital marketing campaigns to a reliable agency, we’d love to speak with you. Contact our team today to schedule a meeting.