Updated April 13, 2023
When someone thinks of something that is “evergreen,” they will most likely think of, say, evergreen trees. These trees are long-lasting, featuring leaves that stay strong throughout the different seasons. Similar to evergreen trees, the marketing world features something called evergreen content, which is content designed to last.
Let’s take a look at what evergreen content is, along with some examples of how to best implement it.
Defining Evergreen Content
Evergreen content is defined as “SEO content that is continually relevant and stays ‘fresh’ for readers.” It is considered to be long-lasting and will be relevant “long past its publication.” Ultimately, this content is written with the goal of being useful for years to come, which is what makes it very appealing to content writers.
When creating evergreen articles, it’s important to consider two things: the topic and the presentation. Evergreen topics are defined as “those with consistent interest and search volume over time.” The presentation should take into consideration the long-term goals of evergreen copy and attempt to avoid dating the article.
Let’s Dive Into Some Examples
To create long-lasting content that helps traffic grow over time, avoid writing content such as:
- Current trends
- Seasonal content
- Statistical content
- Fashion trends
- Political content
Instead, a lot of evergreen content focuses more on topics discussing aspects such as:
- Pet care
- Weight loss
- Many others
For example, articles on how to build a fort, wrap a present, or make your favorite pasta dish are all examples of evergreen content, since no matter how much time passes, the information stays the same and these topics will continue to be relevant in the future.
Why Write Evergreen Content?
In the business world, it’s important to create evergreen content that is useful for your own business. For example, if you work for an SEO company, you’ll want to focus more on content relating to information about search engine optimization and the industry as a whole. This will not only help you and your business but will aid individuals trying to gain more industry knowledge.
Evergreen content creates value for both you and your customers because it provides visitors and potential customers with answers to their questions and will simultaneously increase the credibility of your business.
One of the greatest benefits of writing evergreen content is that it is truly the gift that keeps on giving. You will have the ability to re-promote and repurpose your content with little to no changes. While it may take some time to create a piece of evergreen content, you will have that useful page living on your site that will always be interesting to an audience.
Tips for Writing Evergreen Content
Now that you are aware of what evergreen content is, it’s also important to get familiar with some of the different evergreen formats that are used, such as:
- How-to articles
- Top tips
- Case studies
- Industry resources
- “History of” articles
When writing evergreen content, it’s important to keep your writing clear and simple. Try to avoid technical language or writing for experts on the topic. Beginners will most likely be the ones researching the topic and it’s important to not scare anyone off by using language that makes it hard to follow along.
With this in mind, narrow down your topic so that it’s not so broad that it will ultimately intimidate the reader and scare them away. Essentially, focus on what’s most important.
For example, say you are writing content on making a cake. It’s important to consider breaking off your broad topic into specific subtopics, such as going from “how to bake a cake” to “how to decorate a cake.” This will help the reader gain a better understanding of the topic and will direct them to even more relevant information.
3 Steps to Writing Evergreen Content
Put together a list of what your audience is searching
When writing your evergreen content, it is important to keep in mind that this content revolves around keywords. If you aren’t familiar with keywords, they are essentially words and phrases that individuals use in their searches to find answers to their questions.
You’ll want to identify a list of keywords that are relevant to your business and will provide value to your target audience. There are many tools you can utilize to do this, and proper keyword research will essentially inform the types of content you will ultimately produce on your site.
Create content catered towards keywords
After identifying the keywords you’d like to target, you’ll want to create unique, keyword-optimized copy. As mentioned above, make sure you are sticking to the topic at hand that will answer a searcher’s question.
Create well-thought-out and researched content that can be found with a simple search using one of your selected keywords.
Tip: Avoid mentioning specific dates or times that might limit your content’s relevancy in the long run.
Frequently update published content
It is one thing to simply publish content on your site, but it is just as important to continue bringing new visitors to that specific page. While your content is meant to be everlasting, there is always going to be new and important data that is relevant to visitors.
Take the time to periodically revisit your pages and refresh the content. These additions do not need to be big, but in order to continue ranking on search engines, you’ll want to make sure you always have up-to-date content.
Other Aspects to Keep in Mind About Evergreen Content
- Focus on consistent search traffic potential. First, find topics pertaining to what you want to write. For this step, it’s important to do keyword research, checking for positive trends (avoiding seasonal aspects) and consistent search intent.
- Develop high-quality content, such as writing what’s called “10x content.” You can create this by paying attention to the quality, uniqueness, and authority of the issue.
- Avoid using angles or language with a short lifespan. Again, you want to create content that is long-lasting.
- After writing your content, it’s just as important to maintain it. You’ll want to track your rankings and update your content over time.
- Lastly, build links to your content. Getting more backlinks can help your content rank higher among other articles.
Overall, evergreen content is created to help grow traffic to your website for months or years to follow. Will someone read this article in February of next year? Possibly, but it’s more important to consider long-term growth. Can someone read this article in 2025 and still find it beneficial to them? The answer is absolutely. And that’s the goal.
Why Is Evergreen Content Important for SEO?
As mentioned above, evergreen content remains relevant for a long time. This can be extremely beneficial from a search engine optimization standpoint, as the content is frequently searched on search engines and will ultimately increase your chances of ranking for specific keywords.
Some additional benefits evergreen content can have on SEO include:
- Increased traffic to your website – Creating evergreen content that is meant to be seen and is useful to anyone will naturally increase the traffic to your website. By making sure that your content is reliable and well-researched, Google will reward that content with an increased ranking on its search engine.
- Generation of inquiries and leads – Depending on the products or services you provide, you’ll want to produce evergreen content that shows you’re an expert on a specific topic. Not only will this improve your credibility, but visitors will be more inclined to inquire about your products or services.
- Increased industry authority – Organic traffic is website traffic from visitors who find your website through search engines such as Google, Bing, and Yahoo. Since evergreen content is often meant to answer frequently asked questions, you have the opportunity to provide value to others while increasing your organic traffic and overall authority in a specific industry or niche.
Need Help Creating Evergreen Content?
We can help you create content that is long-lasting and beneficial to your growth as a business for years to come. Talk with our team today!