If you are running a pay-per-click campaign for your business, you’re well aware that there are a variety of aspects that factor into its success. One thing you might not know is that if you’re sending your ads to your website or landing pages, load speed is impacting your ads, positively or negatively.
Keep on reading to get a better understanding on how speed impacts your campaign and some quick tips to improve it.
Campaign Quality Score
In Google Ads, when you are viewing specific keywords for your ad groups, you may have noticed the quality score column with a number of 1-10 out of 10.
Google defines their quality score as “an estimate of how relevant your ads, keywords, and landing pages are to a person who sees your ad. Higher quality scores typically lead to lower costs and better ad positions.”
The key here is landing pages. According to Google Ads help, how your site scores on a speed test is a defining factor in having a good landing page.
Test Your Landing Pages
Thankfully, Google has a few free tools that will analyze your website speed for you:
- Think with Google (Mobile Test) – This analyzer can tell you how long it takes for your site to load, and you can even compare it to your top competitors and view specific landing pages to get custom fix suggestions.
- PageSpeed Insights – This is a more advanced developer tool from Google that will provide you with a ranking out of 100 for both mobile and desktop. This analysis is highly technical, but can also give some more low-level suggestions.
Quick Fixes to Improve Site Speed
While these fixes are relatively easy to do, we suggest having an experienced developer implement the changes as some may impact your website if done incorrectly.
- Resize images and keep them less than 2,000px in size
- Remove unused CSS and plugins on your website
- Avoid multiple page redirects
- Invest in a caching plugin and compression software like Gzip
- Switch any .gif files to MPEG4/WebM animations and PNG/WebP for normal images
Get More Advice About Paid Advertising
Check out some other relevant blog posts on PPC:
- 4 Surefire Ways to Lower Your CPC
- Which Paid Channel Is Best for Your Industry?
- Why Aren’t My Ads Showing Up When I Do a Google Search?
- 5 Reasons Why Your Google Ads Campaign Isn’t Yielding Results
About Sixth City Marketing
We are a digital agency proficient in managing PPC campaigns in Cleveland, Columbus, and beyond! With an in-house staff of talented marketing experts, we can help maximize your ROI through paid search, search engine optimization, website design, HubSpot consulting, and much more.
Interested in seeing all we can do for your business? Get a free website evaluation today.